Man charged with ‘trying to blow up’ Sydney Opera House

A man has been charged with “trying” to blow-up Sydney Opera house after police were called to a domestic disturbance.

Key points:A 31-year-old man is charged with attempting to blowup a Sydney Opera Hall by putting a bomb in the windowThe 31-years-old is being held on $600,000 bailThe Sydney Police Service said the man had no prior convictions for violence or domestic abuse offencesThe man was being held in custody at Parramatta police station and will face court on February 20.

The 31 year old man is facing charges of attempting to commit an act of terrorism and causing damage to a building.

He was apprehended at about 2:30am on Saturday morning, police said.

“Officers were called after a woman reported a disturbance and her child was found in a car in a nearby street,” police said in a statement.

“At the scene, officers found the 31 year-old male with a bomb strapped to his back.”

Police said the suspect had no previous convictions for violent or domestic violence offences.

Police said they were investigating the incident as a possible terror attack.

“The suspect is also known to police to be in close contact with another man and this man was taken into custody by police to ensure he did not harm anyone else,” the statement said.

It added that police had “no further information” about the incident.’

We can’t let this happen to anyone’A statement on the NSW Police Twitter account said the investigation was ongoing.

“We can only speak for ourselves and we can’t allow this to happen to any one of our members,” it said.NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller said there had been a “significant increase in the number of reports of domestic disturbances”.

“It is vital that we take all appropriate steps to ensure that our members are safe and our police officers are working tirelessly to protect people,” he said.

Police Commissioner Mick Fullerton at a news conference.

He said police had been advised the incident was not believed to be terrorism related.

“However, at this stage, we have no further information to share about this matter and we cannot let this incident happen to someone,” he added.

The Sydney Opera, a building built in 1874, has long been considered a symbol of the city’s cultural and cultural heritage.

“It’s not just a building and it’s not an iconic structure that attracts people from all over the world to visit,” the police statement said, adding that the investigation would look into the possibility of other incidents at the building.

“I’ve said from the outset that it’s going to be a real challenge for us to get this information out and we need to be really careful about the details of this.”‘

It was like the world went crazy’A witness, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the noise from the bomb-making machine was loud enough to “bring down a plane”.

“I couldn’t hear the aircraft and I just saw a flash and then it was gone,” she said.

“I thought, ‘That’s a bomb, that’s going in the windows’.”

We were in a room full of people, everyone was screaming, screaming and it was like we were in an air raid shelter.

“She said she could hear the police officers shouting at the man.”

There were police everywhere, there was a police dog, there were officers everywhere,” she added.”

My husband and I went up to the window, I had to put the window down to keep everyone away.

I couldn’t even open the door to get the people out of the house.

It was like they were in the middle of a war zone.

“The witness said the bomb was placed under the window in a “totally normal” manner.”

He did not say anything to anyone, he just did it like it was normal,” she told the ABC.”

When he put the bomb under the door he just put it there and then left the door open.

“Police are appealing for anyone with information about the domestic incident to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.